Ozone application in cooling water treatment is a good option for water quality control. Especially important is the prominent roll it plays in the prevention and control of Legionella causing microbes.
The circulating water of cooling tower systems has always been an ideal place for growth of microorganisms. The warm temperature of the water and the addition of nutrients from the scrubbed air flowing through the tower provide a virtual breeding ground for all sorts of microbes and algae. In turn, these organisms multiply quickly.
The result is a degraded system efficiency due to blockage of flow, shortened equipment life due to corrosion, increased operating cost due to higher pumping power requirements, and the spread of disease.
Ozone Installation Benefits:
- Complete microbial control on contact without any chemical residue
- Due to bio-film removal capacities it is very effective against Legionella
- Keeps cooling tower distribution and collection water basins clear
- Reduces cleaning time and costs
- Saves energy costs by keeping the chiller heat transfer efficiency high through cleaner condenser tubes
- Reduces makeup water to the cooling tower by permitting more cycles between blow downs
- Removes existing calcium carbonate scale by destroying the biomass glue bonding agent
- Reduces the corrosion rate of metals, including copper heat exchangers
- Reduces or eliminates chemical storage, handling, and associated risks and costs
- Eliminates the use of chemicals except for pH balancing
- Improves system operating efficiency